MINDFUL BREATHING CAN HELP MANAGE PAIN AND ANXIETY
- Aim to practice mindful breathing two times a day in 10-minute sessions.
- Setting a timer can help when first starting.
- Sit in a comfortable position.
- It may be helpful to close your eyes or focus on an object.
- Breathe in through your nose for five seconds — counting in your head “1, 2, 3, 4, 5.”
- Breathe out through your mouth for another five seconds— “1, 2, 3, 4, 5.”
- Keep this rhythm and focus on your breath for 10 minutes.
POSITIVE DAILY REFLECTION CAN HELP MANAGE PAIN AND ANXIETY.
How to Start:
- Every evening, think about the people, things, or events that made you happy that day or in the past. Pick one of these and spend a moment savoring it. What made it so special to you?
- Record this moment by writing it down on a slip of paper, and folding it. Do this for as many pleasant memories as you can. Then place them in a container, like a box or jar.
- Continue collecting and storing these special moments in the same way each evening for 30 days.
“Cash In” Your Memories
- When you are feeling pain, or you are in need of a little joy, choose 1–2 memories to read.
- Bring yourself back to that moment in time. Think about why it was important to you.
You can also use Positive Daily Reflections to prepare for surgery. The night before your surgery, randomly pick 10 memories to read. After surgery, continue to “cash in” your memories.
Michigan OPEN is partially funded by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. 03.2021