Take Back Events
Host an Event!
- Did you know? OPEN will support any sites interested in hosting a take back event.
- Where to start? Check out our Take Back Event Guide.
- Need event disposal boxes or reimbursement for law enforcement? OPEN can assist!
- Complete this form for access to FREE resources, event disposal boxes, and opportunities for event reimbursement.
- OPEN will add your site’s information to our website and marketing opportunities to get the word out!
Why Host a Take Back Event?
Prevention is key. To turn the tide of the opioid epidemic, we need to prevent misuse before it begins. Creating safe and convenient opportunities for community members to dispose of their unused and leftover medications is essential. Community take back events are one of the safest and most environmentally-friendly means of disposing unneeded medications. Take back events are a great opportunity for community organizations and individuals to come together to make a difference in their local community. These events not only remove unused medications, they provide an opportunity to educate the public on safe storage and disposal of prescription medications.
How Do I Host a Take Back Event?
The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) selects a day in the spring and the fall to host nationwide events. OPEN partners with local communities in Michigan to support events; we offer educational resources, guidance on planning, and even financial support where possible. OPEN is a great resource to advise on planning and implementation processes. It is the event organizer’s responsibility to seek additional information where required, ensure that all approvals have been obtained, and adherence to all Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) regulations. OPEN provides our free, downloadable Medication Take Back Event Guide to outline each step of the event planning process from start to finish, along with a timeline and sample budget.