Skip to main content
Michigan OPEN

What to do After Using Naloxone

Thank you for responding to an opioid overdose. No matter what happened, you did the right thing by responding. If you live in an area that has a post-overdose outreach team, please contact them.

Call Post Overdose Response Team

We recommend that communities and law enforcement develop a post overdose response program such as the Recovery Opioid Overdose Team (ROOT).

The ROOT team is made up of dedicated peer recovery coaches who work with the person who has overdosed in getting into treatment, and any other services they might need in order to start the road to recovery. 

If you are located in Washtenaw County, contact Crisis Team: (734)-544-3050.

If you are located outside of Washtenaw County, follow your community’s procedures for post-overdose response. 

Take Care of Yourself

It will be important now to take some time to take care of yourself. 

Do take some time to take care of yourself, seek a trusted friend or counselor to talk about your experiences if needed. 

If you would like to find a family support/recovery group, check out SAMHSA’s online treatment locator or call their National Helpline, 1-800-662-HELP (4357) (also known as the Treatment Referral Routing Service). This is a confidential, free, 24-hour-a-day, 365-day-a-year, information service, in English and Spanish, for individuals and family members facing mental and/or substance use disorders. This service provides referrals to local treatment facilities, support groups, and community-based organizations.